Over the last 11 years BMC2 has achieved a dramatic improvement in referral to cardiac rehabilitation, from 64% in 2011 to 90% in 2020. However, significant opportunities remain to improve utilization of cardiac rehabilitation once a referral is made.
Since 2019, BMC2 and the Michigan Value Collaborative (MVC) have been working together to improve cardiac rehab utilization. This collaboration has led to the creation of the Michigan Cardiac Rehab (MiCR) Network. MiCR aims to equitably increase participation in cardiac rehab for all eligible individuals in Michigan.
- Share best practices to improve cardiac rehabilitation use after PCI, TAVR, and cardiac surgery, across sites in Michigan.
- Increase enrollment in cardiac rehab from 30% to 40% by 2024 for all eligible conditions.
- The MiCR Best Practices Toolkit is your guide to strategies to improve cardiac rehab enrollment and attendance. Outlined in the toolkit are initiation, maintenance, and innovation strategies all designed to aid you in helping your patients get the most out of cardiac rehab.
- The Million Hearts Initiative has developed a Cardiac Rehabilitation Change Package. Utilize the package to help your quality improvement team put strategies and systems into place for improved care of eligible patients. In it you'll find change concepts and ideas, tools, and resources.
- We’ve established and regularly convene a group of physicians and other cardiac rehabilitation personnel from MVC, BMC2-PCI, and Michigan Structural Heart Consortium (MISHC) hospitals.
- We track physician/provider endorsement of and referral to cardiac rehabilitation.
- We meet with BCBSM leadership to discuss ways to understand the financial barriers patients face and discuss ways to reduce this barrier.
- We issue reports on cardiac rehabilitation utilization and trends in improvement over time.
Our Meeting Presentations
Check this section often for links to MiCR press releases, cardiac rehab papers, blog posts, and more.