Over the last 10 years BMC2 has achieved a dramatic improvement in referral to cardiac rehabilitation, from 64% in 2010 to 92% in 2020. However, significant opportunities remain to improve utilization of cardiac rehabilitation once a referral is made.
- Share best practices to improve cardiac rehabilitation use after PCI, TAVR, and cardiac surgery, across sites in Michigan through collaborations between BMC2, the Michigan Value Collaborative, and MSTCVS-QC.
- Remove financial barriers to patient use of cardiac rehabilitation.
- Improve safe access to the benefits of cardiac rehabilitation amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.
- We’ve established and regularly convene a group of physicians and other cardiac rehabilitation personnel from BMC2-PCI and Michigan TAVR hospitals.
- We track physician/provider endorsement of and referral to cardiac rehabilitation.
- We meet with BCBSM leadership to discuss ways to understand the financial barriers patients face and discuss ways to reduce this barrier.
- We issue reports on cardiac rehabilitation utilization and trends in improvement over time, in collaboration with the Michigan Value Collaborative.
Risk-Standardized Rates of Cardiac Rehabilitation Use by Hospital
Access resources from the Million Hearts Initiative here.